YSO English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YSO English

Learn to Write to Learn

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Teacher Development

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Teacher Development Empty
PostSubject: Teacher Development   Teacher Development I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:53 pm

Reflect on the roles and profiles of teachers and students. Use these questions to write a journal entry.
  • In your opinion, what are the characteristics (profile) of a successful teacher?

• What do you think is the role of the teacher in the classroom?

• What do you think is the profile of a successful student?

• What do you think is the role of the student in the classroom?
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net
Admin
Admin
Admin

Teacher Development Empty
PostSubject: Teacher and Learner   Teacher Development I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 4:14 pm

To the editor.

I came across a document yesterday titled “What makes a successful teacher and successful student. Being a teacher myself, I was intrigued by what the document had to say, so I read it. In a nut shell, here is what it said.

The successful teacher will be: understanding, reliable, honest, aware, dedicated, hardworking and just. The teacher will be understanding of differences and situations. He or she will not judge without having all of the facts. The teacher will be reliable. Students, teachers and other staff members know that he/she is someone that will always be at his/her post. The teacher will be honest with himself and his students. If there is a problem he/she cannot solve the teacher will go out of his/her way to address the problem. The teacher will be aware of the learners. The teacher should be able to see problems’ arising before it is too late. The teacher should be aware of all the little quirks that make up his/her learners. The teacher will be dedicated. He she will always put the interest of his/her learners before his/her own. The teacher will be hardworking. The teacher will constantly look for way to better his/her classroom. Finally, and what I believe to be the most important, the teacher will be just. The teacher will treat all learners equally regardless of background, capabilities or handicaps. The teacher will not display any show of favoritism.

Ultimately the teacher’s duty is to ensure that all learners have access to the best education he or she can deliver. This implies being able to impart cultural knowledge, life lessons, and ethic. The teacher is to assess and aid all learners improve in problematic areas and better themselves. The teacher’s role is also to help develop learner’s that can understand the value of working for one self rather than waiting for something to arrive. Help develop a sense of independence.

One problem this document had was defining the role of the learner. It started off by saying that its role was to study. Right? I could have said that. Honestly, the paper said there was no such thing as a successful learner. According to it, all learners are successful in their own mind. Therefore, what are some characteristics that most learners identified as being important? Attentive during class –when the teacher and his/her classmate talks-, that will go out of his/her way to add information to the information the teacher has already given, to help others that struggle with a lesson –either by explaining the points after class or going over some of the exercises with the slower student and one that has a strong will to succeed.

The student’s role is to acquire the knowledge his/her teacher is trying to pass on by asking questions if something was not understood well and doing extra research, The student’s role is to participate in class activities, no matter how boring they may look or sound. The role of the student is to do the homework the teacher has given and prepare as best as possible for upcoming tests.
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net

Teacher Development
Page 1 of 1