YSO English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YSO English

Learn to Write to Learn

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The post-method era: Toward informed approaches

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

The post-method era: Toward informed approaches Empty
PostSubject: The post-method era: Toward informed approaches   The post-method era: Toward informed approaches I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Reflect on how you treat errors in your classroom.
  • Do you have a definite philosophy on when and how to treat errors? What is it?

• Do you feel that you have a similar or different philosophy towards errors than your colleagues?

• Do you feel that your philosophy is supported by the material in this lesson? How?

• Has your philosophy changed as a result of the material in this lesson? How?
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net
Admin
Admin
Admin

The post-method era: Toward informed approaches Empty
PostSubject: Teaching Philosophy toward error correction   The post-method era: Toward informed approaches I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 4:35 pm

The first thing I tell my learners when I meet them is that no one is perfect and to err is human. I find it important to mention this because I want to encourage the learners to speak and/ write freely; without fear of committing mistakes.

When it comes to error correction I have two basic approaches; global correction and one-on-one correction. Global correction is done at the end of class in the last 5 to 10 minutes. At that point I write down a number of errors, between 4 and 7, I overheard during class period and ask the learners to try and correct the mistakes. The one-on-one correction is done while the learners are interacting and is used mostly on global errors. In my opinion, these errors need to be addressed right away in order to ensure they do not become internalized.

Do my colleagues and I share the same philosophy toward error correction? I would have to say no. A majority feel that all errors should be corrected as they occur. I feel my approach to error correction is on par with what has been presented in the lesson. I do not tend to overcorrect, I never single out an individual when doing group correction and I always try to hit a variety of errors. In addition, the errors are meaningful to the learners because they were committed by them doing their work. Finally, I incorporate a number of different error correction approaches which encourages participation. My method for attacking errors will remain unchanged because I am comfortable with it, it has yielded positive results and moreover research support my approach.
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net

The post-method era: Toward informed approaches
Page 1 of 1