YSO English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YSO English

Learn to Write to Learn

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MA Module 2

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

MA Module 2 Empty
PostSubject: MA Module 2   MA Module 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:16 pm

What role, if any, should the students’ mother tongue play in the classroom? Discuss, with reference to second language acquisition theory and research findings.
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net
Admin
Admin
Admin

MA Module 2 Empty
PostSubject: 1st Language in a EFL classroom   MA Module 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 pm

1.Overview
Long has been the idea that, unequivocally, there is no place for a learner’s maternal language to be used in a second language learning classroom. The reasons behind this English only ideology are taken at face value and are rarely challenged by foreign/second language teachers around the world. Should the student’s mother tongue play a role in the classroom? The following paper will start by illustrating those who support the English only policy and their reasons for trying to maintain an English only environment in a second language (L2) classroom. Then it will look at those who disagree with the English only approach in a second language classroom and the reasons for believing the learners first language (L1) could and should be used inside the classroom.

2.Introduction
As I walked into my first Korean class, I thought to myself this should be interesting and challenging. I had just moved from Eastern Canada to Korea two weeks previously, thus my knowledge of Korean was non-existent to say the least. I had been lucky enough to get a young lady to teach me the Korean alphabet and how it was written before I showed up to class, so I thought to myself this should give me a heads up, and prepare me for the first few lessons. Boy was I wrong. I sat in a class for 60 minutes, and understood absolutely nothing. The teacher spoke Korean the entire time, and never once stopped to ask if we understood. Well, I ‘guess’ she did not stop to ask us if we understood because none of the other students asked questions, and well as I said my knowledge of Korean was nil. Moreover, none of us said a word for 60 minutes. I do not know if the others returned to the following class, but one thing is for sure: I did not. I felt exhausted and overwhelmed after that first class. I thought to myself ‘what a waste of time and energy’. This was my first sign of what not to do as a second language teacher. After feeling inept and stupid for 60 minutes, and eventually giving up on trying to acquire Korean (at that moment), I did not want to put my own learners through that experience. Hence, an English only classroom can be something to aim for, but never truly enforced. Does this mean I support an approach to teaching a second language in an environment where the first language is predominant? I categorically oppose the idea of a classroom in which the learner’s native language is overused.

This paper’s goal is to put forward the idea that within a second language classroom there is room for the use of the learner’s native tongue so long as it does not take away from key language that should be acquired in the L2 such as giving, receiving and understanding instructions, as long as it does not undermine the role, position or social standing of a teacher for example disciplining learners and that it is used moderately, and judiciously. The following pages will look at a few researches done by Luke Prodromou in 2002, Jinlan Tang also in 2002, and William Schweers Jr. in 1999 to justify the use of the L1 in the classroom, as well as seeing how well it correlates with a research done by me. In addition, it will outline when and how the student’s mother tongue could or should be used within a second language classroom.

3. Research
Among the growing number of educators advocating the use of the learner’s native tongue in the classroom, one of the first, was David Atkinson (1987). In his work, he has argued for the limited use of the L1 especially in accuracy-oriented tasks. He believes that 5% of a lesson can be given in the learner’s native tongue, by using it for translation in order to verify comprehension.

Other educators contend that the L1 has its place in an L2 classroom, however there are very few studies done on the question at hand. Some of those who have conducted research, and that will be taken into account in this paper are William Schweers Jr.’s (1999) research on the use of the L1 by monolingual Spanish students and professors in a Puerto Rican university, Luke Prodromou’s (2002) study covering 300 teenage or young adult Greek students from beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels and Jinlan Tang’s (2002) work with 100 English major intermediate level students and 20 teachers and in a Chinese university.

They surveyed, interviewed and recorded second language learners (and some of their classrooms) in order to see how much time was dedicated to the use of the L2 and the L1 within a second language classroom, and for what reasons the L1 was being used. As for the interviews and surveys, they were distributed and held with the L2 learners and the L2 educators to learn about their attitudes toward the use of the student’s mother tongue in an L2 classroom.

Their researches have yielded interesting results regarding the use of the mother tongue within a classroom. For example, Jinlan Tang’s (2002) study indicates that 70% of the intermediate university students and 72% of the teachers believe that Chinese should be used in the classroom. In William Schweers Jr.’s (1999) research 88.7% of the university learners and 100% of the professors believed that Spanish should be used within the classroom. Finally, Luke Prodromou’s (2002) study illustrates that 66% of beginner level students, 58 % of intermediate level students, and 29% of advanced level students believe that Greek should be used with their second/foreign language classroom.

Because of these findings, I wanted to know if the researches done by the above noted authors would correlate with my Korean teaching environment. In addition, I wanted to know if my colleagues and learners agreed with my ideas of when and why the native language can be used within a classroom. I surveyed 15 of my colleagues 8 of these teachers were Korean teachers teaching English as a foreign language, and 7 of them were native English teachers varying from different parts of the globe with teaching experience varying between 1 and 30 years. There were 186 monolingual Korean foreign language learners participating in the survey. They ranged in ages from 11 to 16 with the majority being between 13 and 15; they varied from elementary to upper-intermediate, and they were in the private institute taking supplementary English lessons.

The surveys that were given to the students and teachers take into account the questions asked by Jinlan Tang’s (2002) study (Appendix I), William Schweers Jr.’s (1999) research (Appendix II), and Luke Prodromou’s (2002) study (Appendix III). As well other criteria offered by Elsa Roberts Auerbach (1993). Such as classroom management, discussions of cross-cultural issues and instructions or prompts have been included into the questionnaire.

A first pilot questionnaire (Appendix IV) was distributed to 50 learners ranging from different English levels of expertise. After compiling the initial data (Appendix V), I approached the foreign teachers that had administered the questionnaire to their classes to get some feedback on how the process had gone. Two worries surfaced through these conversations. The first problem was related to the difficulty of some of the vocabulary items and the way some of the questions were formulated. They pointed out that they were asked to explain some words and on some occasion, the learners asked why the same question was repeated twice. The second problem that was brought to my attention was related to one of the options that were being offered (question 8 option A which reads; It makes me feel at ease, comfortable, and less stress). According to my colleagues, that option was too wordy. Following these invaluable insights, I proceeded on altering the questionnaire. Option A from question 8 was revised to; It makes me feel less stress and two supplementary questions were added; how old are you and what is your gender (Appendix VI). The biggest change came in the way the survey was presented to the learners. To avoid confusion and eliminate possible errors with vocabulary words and questions the questionnaire was translated into the students L1, Korean (Appendix VII). As for the survey given to the teachers, it was run once and in English only (Appendix VIII).

4. ‘Reinstatement’ of the L1 in the L2 classroom
‘I want my child to speak like a native speaker’, ‘Why is my child not able to understand everything that is being said by the teacher yet?’ or ‘Could you teach my child to speak like you?’ The above questions, and statement are from parents who enter the private English foreign language institute in which I work. These parents want their children to be perfect speakers. They want their children to be able to walk in a native speaker’s environment, and not be pointed out as being or sounding different from the rest. If this does not materialize the L2 learner can be considered a failure in their eyes or their parents’ eyes for not achieving the same competence as the L1 child, that is to say becoming a native speaker. This way of thinking is problematic because a very low number of second language learners are ever be able to communicate in a native-like manner. This is also supported by Towell and Hawkins, (1994, p.14) when they say that ‘Very few L2 learners appear to be fully successful in the way that native speakers are.’ Due to this reality some students may quit trying to improve their second language and therefore see their L2 fossilize or regress.

In my opinion, the L1 can be used in an L2 classroom for two reasons: To explain difficult concepts or ideas, and to explain complex grammar points. The use of the L1 for these reasons would engender three beneficial results for the learners and the educators: time efficiency, learning efficiency and a greater amount of cooperation or teamwork developed among the classmates.

Furthermore, the two mentioned reasons above for which I believe the L1 is acceptable are only under only certain elements moderation, judgment, and controlled use of the mother language. I will start by simply defining the terms and giving them minor examples, then I will elaborate on them as well as the reasons I believe the L1 could be use in a second language classroom

4.1. Moderation
When mentioning moderation, I believe that the L1 should not be a dominant force in the classroom. It should be there to clarify things, but only when the L2 fails. I believe that 10% of class time being conducted in the L1 is moderate. In the research conducted by Calman and Daniel (1998) (cited in Turnbull 2001) in an urban setting in central Canada, 5% of L1 use was acceptable by the researchers and the school board that participated in the research.

4.2. Judgment
When asking to use the L1 judiciously this can be problematic for many educators. What is being judicious? Who is right and who is wrong? This idea has a direct link to the first belief; being moderate. Only an educator knows when the L1 is really needed. I would only really use the L1 in situations where I notice that time was being wasted or for a serious discipline problem. For example, asking a student to help a newcomer understand a task that is being done while the teacher tends to the problems the other learners may have. Notice, however, that the word judicious means to use and exhibit sound judgment. Therefore, it is the educator’s role to decide what is and is not an appropriate reason to use the L1.

4.3. Control
The final element, which needs to be taken into account when using the student’s mother tongue, is control. The educator should decide who, when, where, why, what and how long the first language should be used. Unlike the two previous elements, which mostly focused on the teacher’s use of the L1, this element is to monitor or control the learner’s use of the L1. With the teacher controlling the use of the L1, he or she can ensure a high percentage of target language input and output.

5. Reasons for using the L1 within an L2 classroom
As mentioned previously there are two reasons I believe the L1 should be used in a second language classroom. The first is for explaining complex grammar points, and the second is explaining difficult concepts or ideas.

5.1 Explaining complex grammar points
Grammatical teaching and in depth explanation of grammar has been frowned upon for most of the twentieth century. It has started to reappear n the second language classroom through different approaches such as consciousness-raising or focus on form. However, as Cook (2001) points out, “Most studies of cognitive processing suggest that even advanced L2 learners are less efficient at absorbing information from the L2 than form the L1.” This idea is also reinforced by Lightbown and Spada (1999:33) “Although young learners have begun to develop cognitive maturity and metalinguistic awareness, they will still have far to go in these areas, as well as in the area of world knowledge, before they reach the levels already attained by adults and adolescents.” Thus, it is easily understandable why second language teachers may want to avoid teaching grammar to second language learners. This problem is magnified when dealing with lower level students and younger students. Explaining complex grammar to me means explaining grammar. Everything is complex depending on the learner you have in front of you. If the teacher is in the presence of a 5 to 9year old learner, I avoid mentioning the word grammar and avoid teaching grammar as a separate component of the language. I put the grammar into practice with other elements surrounding the planned lesson. Another reason I avoid mentioning grammar is that in the context I am in, second language learners spend many hours studying the grammar and doing grammar exercises in books. They associate grammar with endless hours of homework and new things to stress about. Korea being a highly competitive education market, with parents doing their outmost to get their children into the best high schools or universities in the country, grammar holds a key position in the parents and students’ mind because of high presence on the English entrance exam. If the L1 needs to be used in the classroom to explain a certain element that is present in the lesson and is related to grammar, I would explain it in English and encourage the learners to group up for a few minutes and let them discuss the rule in the L1. I would walk around and ensure that they are discussing the rule that was just explained and helped if things were still unclear.

With older children or teens, I believe students can use the L1 when they are inducing about the grammar. I also believe that the teacher can use it if he or she realizes that the learners are having difficulty inducing the function or role of the grammar that is the focus of the lesson. This idea seems to be supported by a high majority of the students I researched with the lowest percentage coming from the upper elementary learners with 91% to 100% with the upper intermediate students. These numbers are somewhat higher than those produced by Jinlan Tang (2002) with her 72% of students wanting complex grammar to be explained in the L1, but age and level of education attained at the time of the research may account for the gap.

As for adult or university learners, I would avoid the use of the L1 and challenge them to figure out the rules for themselves or at the least research the rules. They have the cognitive ability and the maturity to do the work being demanded. I would then ask one of the learners to try and explain the grammar in the L2. Older learners may have different motivations for learning a second language and their motivations may be pressing such as work requirements, school accreditation, promotion possibility, or moving to a new country. Whatever the motivation, the goals are usually more practical and immediate. Therefore, a higher percentage of input and output in the target language (TL) is preferable. Point supported by MacDonald (1993) (cited in Turnbull, 2001) “Teachers should use the TL as much as possible for motivational reasons: Learners see the TL as immediately useful as opposed to at some distant point in the future.” This does not mean that the L1 should never appear in the classroom however; it should be very minimal, explaining a point that was misunderstood.

Depending on the student’s second language level of expertise the use of the L1 would gradually diminish as the levels went higher. However, age would also have an impact because I do not believe a student should be studying materials above their cognitive understanding.

As demonstrated age, as well as learner’s purpose and the learner’s level of proficiency in the target language all play a role on the use of the L1 in the explaining of grammar. Moreover, the teacher’s moderation, judgment and control on the use of the L1 as a positive impact on efficiency and teamwork or cooperation.

5.2 Explaining difficult concepts or ideas
When looking at the different researches, there is very little correlation between them. However, I believe that explaining difficult concepts or ideas is a valid reason for using the L1 and so do most second language learners. In William Schweers Jr’s (1999) research 86.2% of respondents believed that the use of the L1 was necessary, whereas Jinlan Tang’s (2002) research yielded much lower results with the percentage being 48% of respondents believing the mother language should be used to explain difficult concepts or ideas. The research I conducted yielded numbers that find themselves between both researches depending on the level of proficiency the learner has attained. The elementary level student only believe the L1 is acceptable for this criteria at 68% whereas intermediate and upper-intermediate support the use of the L1 for explaining difficult concepts or ideas at 88% and 100% respectively.

Seeing such, low numbers of learners believe that explaining difficult concepts or ideas at the elementary level and a high percentage at the intermediate and upper-intermediate levels is not surprising. Why should the L1 be used for this criterion?

The first reason is to ensure learning efficiency. With young learners or elementary second language learners, the concepts, and ideas are not very complex –maybe a reason for the lower percentage of importance put to this criterion-, but they can be demanding cognitively if the young learner has never acquired the knowledge surrounding the idea or the elementary level student has not learned about the concept in school or in his or her society. For example, asking a second language learner to write a letter or an essay. They may have styles or approaches to writing that differ from the second languages style of writing the teacher is looking for. The idea of building a paragraph can be easily illustrated however, all the required elements that form a well-structured paragraph may not be easily shown and therefore would require the use of the L1 to explain concepts such as thesis statement, topic sentence, supporting sentences.

As the age of the learner, or his level of proficiency in the second language, increases the concepts and ideas that make their way forward increase in difficulty. Here, the teacher would challenge the learners. The educator would explain the concept or idea that needs to be put into practice or acquired and then ask the students to help each other out in explaining the idea through an example. Following the example session, the teacher would then explain the concept in the L2 while highlighting the examples that were good. The teacher would then ask the learners to correct their examples and ask those who did well or understood the concept to help their classmates using the L2 and some L1. Finally, the L2 teacher would use the L1 to explain the concept if still there were some difficulty in understanding the concept. This process would also be used with adults or university students. Where the first reason for using the L1 was to check on comprehension, for this group of learners the use of the L1 is to be time-efficient

As for advanced level students, the educator should use very little of the L1. The learners should be cognitively well developed and therefore have no real need to rely on the teacher. That being said, age can be a factor even with advanced students, thus, the L1 can be used to explain some concepts or ideas if they are to advance for the learners. In our private institute, we have a few advanced students aged 15 to 16. Because of the context we are in, the TOEFL CBI and Next Generation IBT are of great importance to parents and some students. This exam is a university entrance exam; therefore the material studied and utilized for the creation of the exam is of university caliber. When we have 15 and 16-year-old students trying to do these exams students do encounter problems. As one student put it to me after listening to a passage dealing with the different stages of sleep between mammal, reptiles and fish, “Teacher I tool many notes, but I do not know what I wrote or what they were taking about.” In this situation, the teacher may revert to the L1 to explain the concepts that were brought up in the listening to clarify things for the learners.

The use of the L1 in explaining difficult concepts is quite important for facilitating learning, and for time efficiency. The age and the learners’ proficiency level in the second language also play an important role in determining the place of the mother tongue in the classroom. Finally, by using and letting the L1 be used moderately, judiciously and under supervision the teacher ensures that there is greater amount of L2 use, but not the detriment of the second language learner.

6. Looking into the research
Should Korean be used in the English second language classroom? According to the research, data 40% of the learners believe Korean should be in the classroom. However, 70% of the learners like when the mother tongue is being used in the classroom. Who should be using the L1? Over 75% of the learners believe Korean teachers should use the L1 while less than 25% believe the native English teacher should use the L1. These numbers are very similar to those of the teachers, which can demonstrate a good understanding between the teachers and the second language learners.

For what purposes should the mother language be used? There are three major reasons –reasons that were chosen by more than half of the learners- chosen by the learners; explaining complex grammar points, helping define new vocabulary items and explaining difficult concepts and ideas. Only one individual mentioned that the use of the L1 could be used to converse with.

There is one criterion that needs to be pointed out and that is the one dealing with language analysis. In the pilot run the criterion was elected only 16% of the time to be viewed as a reason for using the L1. This changed greatly in the second version of the research that was given in Korean with it being chosen by 42% of the learners for a reason to use the L1 within the classroom. A key element to point out is that the elements chosen by the second language learners are elements that are (university and high school entrance exams) or were (TOEFL CBI and TOEIC) heavily focused upon in past test and that are now starting to change with incorporating a lot more listening and speaking (TOEFL IBT).

Most learners believe that using Korean benefits them in understanding new concepts and vocabulary items, but believe it has a little impact on them learning English. They believe that teachers and students should use the mother language between 5 and 10 minutes in a 40minute period.

Finally, the second language learners believe that they should be able to use Korean to ask how to say something in English, and to translate an English word or text from English into the L1 to demonstrate understanding

Surprisingly enough there seems to be a lot of correlation between what the teachers perceive as being adequate and reasonable use of the L1 and what the learners believe in.

6. Conclusion
The use of the learner’s mother tongue in a second language classroom is quite an interesting debate. For every educator that believes in the English only policy, one is more liberal to the idea of using the L1. As Ferrer (200?) states “We have this idea of no L1 in the classroom but L1 is constantly being used in the classroom. Students are, especially lower levels, always using their knowledge of the world and their L1 to make comparisons with English.” I find myself becoming more liberal as time goes by. I have tried to acquire additional languages but have failed on both accounts. In both situations, I was place in a L2 environment only. I think that there is room to use the L1 moderately, judiciously, and with control.

Some may argue that I only recognize two reasons to use the L1. That is because I think that the other elements present can and should be introduced and used by the L2 only. The vocabulary items that appear in giving instructions or prompts and in classroom management are key words in the L2 and should therefore be taught in the L2.

This reasoning comes from research conducted by Friedlander (1990) on the effects of a first language on writing in English as a second language, the language in which the knowledge was acquired will have a big impact on the learner’s brainstorming, planning, and composition. Friedlander concluded that those who brainstormed and planned for their writing task in the language in which the knowledge had been acquired produced better quality plans and essays or letters.

There are many influences on learners acquiring a second language, and none should be taken to lightly. A lot more research is required on the role of the L1 in the L2 classroom because I believe there is a place for it and that it can only benefit the learner.
Back to top Go down
https://yansebon.rpg-board.net

MA Module 2
Page 1 of 1